Today, I decide to leave my four Facebook mommy groups for the following reasons:
- I wanted to have real-life friendship and I was not getting any of it from my mommy groups.
- I couldn’t stand the bullying of some members to those whom they perceived as not following their advice.
- The group has become a haven for humble-bragging.
- It affected me how some women were treated badly by their in-laws and even husband or partner but they were not empowered enough to stand on their own.
- It affected me to read daily rants from women who should have been empowered in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong–I enjoyed the virtual company of my mommy groups but I needed to focus on more productive things in my life like my thesis for the next semester. I have always been empathetic when it comes to people who are in trouble but I need to set my priorities, too in such a way that my professional growth will not be compromised.